Camping in the rain can be a challenging but rewarding experience. While it may not be the ideal weather condition for most people, with the right preparation and mindset, camping in the rain can be an adventure like no other! Here are Rated Red’s top five tips for camping in the rain.
- Gather a bag of dry tinder. This requires some pre-planning on your part to head out into the woods to gather material before the rain hits. You can pack this bag in your trip for a great dry source to start your fire with.
- Watch creeks and rivers. The last thing you want is for your tent to turn into a sunken house. Make sure you stay on high enough ground where creeks and rivers won’t invade your space.
- Check for dead trees. Camping under trees can be a great release from the weather, but it is important to select a healthy tree that is unlikely to drop branches or fall during strong winds.
- Trash bags. Trash bags can be surprisingly versatile and useful items for camping. You can use them as a makeshift poncho, a food storage bag, a ground sheet, and a waterproof barrier.
- Tarps, tarps, and more tarps. Putting a tarp underneath your tent will keep it dry. You can also place one on top of your tent, which will prevent water from entering your living area.
Follow these tips and you’ll be sure to have an unforgettable experience camping in the rain!