A pork butt is a true staple of all American barbecue, and Carey Bringle from Peg Leg Porker is here to show us how to smoke a beautiful butt. You can find the recipe below and hundreds of others in his cookbook, BBQ For Dummies. Be sure to check out the video for more tips and tricks on making a delicious butt from the Peg Leg Porker himself.
PREP TIME: About 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 12-16 hours
YIELD: 14 servings
1. Preheat the grill or smoker (we love PK Grills grill and smoker combo) to 220 degrees.
2. Unwrap the pork butt and rinse with cold water.
3. Trim the pork butt to leave 1/4 inch of fat on the fatty areas.
4. Rub the butt uniformly with the salt.
5. Rub the butt uniformly with the Basic BBQ Rub.
6. Fill a spray bottle with the Basic Mop Sauce, and spritz the meat with it once an hour, making sure the meat gets thoroughly moistened.
7. Check the meat temperature after about 6 hours.
8. Remove your pork butt from the smoker when the internal temperature reaches 192 degrees. Allow it to rest on the counter or in a cooler for at least 1 hour before pulling and serving.
- 1 whole pork butt
- ½ cup kosher large-flake salt
- 1 cup Basic BBQ Rub
- 2 cups Basic Mop Sauce
For more amazing barbecue recipes like this one, order Carey’s cookbook BBQ for Dummies here.